[magical item] Ships Eyes

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[magical item] Ships Eyes

Post by Big Mac » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:02 pm

I was replying to something Jaid said in Man in The Funny Hat's Seeing Planets From a Distance when I came up with an idea for a magic item:
Big Mac wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:57 pm
Jaid wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:44 am
fun fact: there is a wizard spell that focuses air into a lens to allow you to see further. it would be pretty funny if air envelopes naturally formed such a lens :P
<snip>

Alternatively, why not turn the large eye-shaped windows that appear on the sides of most spelljamming ships into lenses and have the navigator stand inside that room to get a good view of the crystal sphere around the ship.

That would give the eyes of the ship a proper function, rather than have them be something that looks quirky for no reason.
I'm not sure if there is anything like this already. (I'm on a Busjammer going to Peckhamspace and don't have my books with me. :P ) But thinking on this some more, I think there could be a number of variants on this.

SHIPS EYES

Ships Eyes of the Spyglass

The windows of this item are made of a special convex crystal and are often formed of multiple panes of crystal. When assembled on the bow of a spelljamming ship, the ships eyes form a pair of lens-shaped windows that allow anyone inside the cabin to see objects in the distance, as if using a spyglass. A person standing within the room needs to concentrate on an object in the distance. It will then appear to enlarge as the magic takes hold. Both windows must be fully installed into a single compartment on a ship that has a spelljamming helm attached for the magic to be effective. (The helm does not need to be active, but if it is destroyed or removed, the Ships Eyes cease to function.

Ships Eyes of Night

The windows of this item are made of a dark convex crystal and are often formed of multiple panes of crystal. When assembled on the bow of a spelljamming ship, the ships eyes form a pair of lens-shaped windows that allow anyone inside the cabin to see objects outside the ship, as if they have dark vision. A secondary effect means that people with light sensitivity are able to look through the windows, as if they do not have light sensitivity.

Ships Eyes of the Rose

This cursed item is a set of windows that appear identical to Ships Eyes of the Spyglass. The assembled windows work in an identical way, save that they show illusions of magnified objects, that look much nicer than reality. Hostile planets seem like nice places to land, pirate ships and slaver ships appear to be friendly, a star that is a gate to the Plane of Radiance appears to be an open Phlogiston Portal and so on. An observer using the cabin sees an altered version of reality that, if believed, could cause them to fly their ship towards danger. The outside of the windows take on a slight rose tint, once a ship heads off on it's first voyage, with the Ships Eyes of the Rose. This can not be seen from the inside.

I think I probably need to tidy these up a bit. And maybe make some more variants.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Spelljammer”