Top 5 tips for new DMs

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Top 5 tips for new DMs

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:09 am

I came across these five tips for new DMs from Tribality. I'm not sure they would all be in my Top 5 list.

What about you? What are your top tips for new GMs?

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Re: Top 5 tips for new DMs

Post by Coronoides » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:50 am

I think one very important ‘sub-tip’ is missing. During session zero discuss how likely PC death will be and what happens when a PC dies.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:34 am

Coronoides wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:50 am
I think one very important ‘sub-tip’ is missing. During session zero discuss how likely PC death will be and what happens when a PC dies.
That's a good call-out. That has a huge impact on setting expectations early.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:29 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:09 am
I'm not sure they would all be in my Top 5 list.
Same here. I'm not even sure I would have a list. But they are good suggestions.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:05 pm

At least two of those I wouldn't qualify as tips for new DMs. I'd additionally advise them to be impartial but fair. And start off with an easy, introductory adventure, to better grasp the game's aesthetics and mechanics.
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

Return to “The Squishy Bits”