Good RPG Podcasts/Liveststreams/Youtube shows (Liveplay and Discussions)?

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Good RPG Podcasts/Liveststreams/Youtube shows (Liveplay and Discussions)?

Post by Havard » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:50 pm

What are some good RPG Podcasts/Liveststreams/Youtube shows?

General D&D discussion General RPG discussion Livestreamed Games

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: Good RPG Podcasts/Liveststreams/Youtube shows (Liveplay and Discussions)?

Post by RobJN » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:12 pm

Some of Tablestory's stuff is good (YouTubes and Twitch). They run a wide variety of game systems, as well as doing different takes within the more flexible game systems (for instance, they've run an Oroville-esque sci-fi, a Firefly-ish sci-fi and a cyberpunk all using the N.E.W. flavor of WOIN)

And Wacksteven's maps are just gorgeous.

If I'm curious about how a system runs, I'll usually check to see if the Tablestory crew has used it and give a watch/listen.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:30 pm

My favourite live-streamed Spelljammer game is AuldDragon's Spelljammer game which is broadcast live on his AuldDragon's Twitch channel and then uploaded to AuldDragon's Dungeons & Dragons Actual Play Sessions Playlists on YouTube.

My favourite Dragonlance podcast is Dragonlance Canticle.

We have people from Iconic Podcast and Thaco's Hammer Podcast hanging around on the forums. Both of those should be in your list.

There is a live-play Ghostwalk game, called Flumph Stats.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:44 pm

How could I forget the Save or Die podcast?
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:30 am

Dael Kingsmill has a D&D Nerd Stuff playlist on her YouTube channel.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:59 pm

Some of my favorite RPG podcasts include the following:
  • Total Party Thrill – I love the dynamic between the two hosts. Each week, they provide a short (10 minutes) update for their latest campaign. They then dive into the main topic, which ranges from introductions to campaign settings (D&D and other systems) to fantasy races to house rules to solutions to common problems that arise at gaming tables. Finally, they conclude with the character creation forge, where they create a D&D 5e character who fits a certain idea or archetype, then flesh that character out with their own backstory. This is a great source of NPC ideas, by the way.
  • Iconic Podcast – This is a bi-weekly delve into the 13th Age system, its default setting, the setting that Iconic Productions uses for their games (which they're planning to publish products for), other 13th Age settings, general gaming advice with a focus on how to approach topics from 13th Age's perspective, and reviews of new products.
  • GM Word of the Week – This short (20 minute), weekly podcast is similar to the endless content I find when I look up a Wikipedia article and begin clicking on links. It takes the listener through the etymology of an RPG term or a monster or a deity, with plenty of digressions to talk about tangentially related topics.
  • Plot Points – Each week, the hosts provide reviews of RPG products or delve into the history of TSR. I enjoy both the historical episodes as well as the reviews. I've yet to find a better source to learn about the late era of TSR, so if you're into the history of D&D leading up to 3rd Edition, it's worth checking out these episodes.
  • Roleplay Rescue – Two episodes are released each week. One is a stream-of-consciousness recording of the host throughout the week as he records his thoughts on RPG-related topics. The other is a more polished episode, generally discussing old school play, but not necessarily D&D. GURPS fantasy, RuneQuest, and Castles & Crusades come up frequently.
  • Panda's Talking Games – Each week, the hosts take a listener request for advice and answer it in terms of one-shot, convention play versus long-term, campaign play.
  • Dungeon Master's Block – Weekly episodes alternate from "DM-Nastics," where the hosts and a guest use improv to explore a topic, and discussions of RPG-related topics.
  • Down with D&D – If you're a fan of 5th Edition D&D, this weekly podcast gets into the details of product reviews, suggestions for DM's Guild adventure design, the latest news from the Adventurers League, and other 5e-related topics.
  • Fear of a Black Dragon – This bi-weekly podcast explores an old RPG module or an OSR product. After reviewing the product, the hosts expand upon it, discussing how it can be used in your campaign and what other media you can view, read, or listen to, expanding on the themes of the module.

Return to “The Squishy Bits”