How to make Robrenn Druids more interesting?

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, agathokles

Havard
Dragon Turtle

How to make Robrenn Druids more interesting?

Post by Havard » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:15 pm

So, I really like Robrenn Druids and their Druidic Knights, but outside of the expanded spell list, official information about them is rather limited.

What can we do to expand on Robrenn Druids?

Some ideas:
Druidic Stone Circles: What are they? How can players construct their own? Are they used for summoning? If so, what can be summoned? (Maybe Elementals, Actaeons etc?)

Druidic Constructs: Wood Golems, maybe Juggernauts made from wood?

Druidic Allies: Animals, Magical Beasts (Griffons, Unicorns etc), Fey, Treants, Gakkaraks, spirits?

Connections to the Realm of Feywood (AKA Fairy Plane, Feywild etc).

Just a bit of brain storming here...

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Khedrac
Ostego

Re: How to make Robrenn Druids more interesting?

Post by Khedrac » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:24 pm

I thought this was supposed to be based on Asterix the Gaul - perhaps take the focus away from the druids (who are support) an on to the "regular" tribesmen. If the druids' potions grant different superhero-type abilities you can have a lot of fun which what appears to be a "boring" settlement (before it is annoyed).
I don't remember if there is anyone taking the role of the ROmans from Asterix?
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:19 pm

Khedrac wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:24 pm
I thought this was supposed to be based on Asterix the Gaul - perhaps take the focus away from the druids (who are support) an on to the "regular" tribesmen. If the druids' potions grant different superhero-type abilities you can have a lot of fun which what appears to be a "boring" settlement (before it is annoyed).
I don't remember if there is anyone taking the role of the ROmans from Asterix?
Taking a page from Asterix is a good idea. Especially since this was a primary inspiration for this culture. We already have superpowers in the form of the red curse, but I love the idea of these druids being master potion brewers.

Romans would be Thyatians, but they are too far away...

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:58 pm

I had thought about borrowing the juggernauts from Jakandor, Island of War. They're wicker, wood, or stone statues controlled by a person linked to it via a magic circle (who thus requires bodyguards so opponents don't avoid the juggernaut and simply take out the pilot). Magic items can be incorporated into the juggernaut by carving a wooden replica of the item, then putting the magic item in the juggernaut and having the pilot wear/carry the replica (for PCs who end up fighting juggernauts, this means they may have really good loot because the item is in the statue).

Their rules are a bit complicated, but I like the idea, particularly since the requirement for a person to control it and the method of incorporating items into the juggernaut feels different from the typical arcane animated object.

Dragon Turtle
Initiate

Post by Dragon Turtle » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:04 am

Discussion of Druidic Knights split into a separate topic here viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22674

-Dragon Turtle
This is Havard's Alternate Account
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Junior admin at The Piazza. My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:03 am

Havard wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:19 pm
Romans would be Thyatians, but they are too far away...
There are Heldannic Knights who are known to plague the region, though.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:22 pm

As looking Through all Asterix sources Druids based on these woukd be secondary rulers, wise men, yet refrain from direct conflict themselves where possible. being master brewers I would make the creators of magical weapins/armor, and potions/ointments and such with profound effects.
The typical cauldron of Asterix giving the potion of super strength exceeding the mortal limit is such an example. Its duration would normally be as equal to normal potions. mixing these would as canon give unwanted effects, and accidents (like with Obelix who flel in the cauldron) would be possible with normal effects only under special circumstances (being submerged, and then consuming the whole cauldron) and with bad influences (like in asterix petrification) with later consumptions of the potion or only (under druids supervision and duress) minute consumptions would be possible.
Estimating the potion of strength with the immortal statistics I would assume the potion gives a temporary strength of 30!! and enables movement speed of +500% (not action speed)
Overexposure, permanently reduces intelligence, lowers saves and gives other handicaps as becoming more vulnerable to similar potionside effects
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

All my collected works on The Piazza

stebehil
Troll

Post by stebehil » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:56 pm

IIRC, the Asterix Potions also grant invulnerability (barkskin or stoneskin) for the duration.

Return to “Savage Coast”