[Theros] Is Mythic Odysseys of Theros the next D&D setting?

"There are some who call me...Tim!" Discuss Magic: The Gathering campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

[Theros] Is Mythic Odysseys of Theros the next D&D setting?

Post by Tim Baker »

According to E.N. World, the next D&D campaign setting and adventure is Mythic Odysseys of Theros.

What do you know about this setting? Do you enjoy the M:tG lore for it? What makes it different from straight up Greek mythology? Are you excited for this release?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Theros] Is Mythic Odysseys of Theros the next D&D setting?

Post by Havard »

Tim Baker wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:46 am
What do you know about this setting? Do you enjoy the M:tG lore for it? What makes it different from straight up Greek mythology? Are you excited for this release?

Great find!

I am not familiar with this setting so I can't help you with any details here. I do like Greek mythology so I wonder if this could work with crossovers to Mystara's Hollow World Realm of Milenia or the AD&D HR6 Age of Heroes Campaign Settings? I also remember hoping that the Heroes of Hesiod setting for D&D 3E would have more Greek elements.

Would love it if others can fill us in more on this upcoming 5E book though!

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

I had similar thoughts. I have the 5e setting Arkadia, and was curious how easily elements from both settings would meld.

Ultimately, I'm considering using Hellenistika by Ken Hite as the setting for my next 13th Age campaign. Ken ran it using 13th Age, but the Kickstarter will be for 5e, due do that system's popularity. If I can pull in elements from other Greek-themed settings, I might find the right combination for my own take on Hellenistika.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick »

I'm a huge fan of Greek mythology, but I'm unlikely to get this, because I haven't played M:tG since years before Theros was introduced, so know none of that setting lore. (I may still check it out it if my local library acquires a copy for their small but growing RPG collection.)

I do own Odyssey of the Dragonlords, which is a very different take on Greek myth for 5e. I may need to look into Hite's Hellenistika, too, since I've always been a fan of his approach to history and magic (though IIRC from what he's said about it on KARTAS, it's set in the later Hellentistic Greek period rather than the archaic heroic age?).
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

timemrick wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:18 am
I may need to look into Hite's Hellenistika, too, since I've always been a fan of his approach to history and magic (though IIRC from what he's said about it on KARTAS, it's set in the later Hellentistic Greek period rather than the archaic heroic age?).
That's right. I read that the setting starts in a fantasy version of the year 273 B.C.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

The book has been officially announced on the D&D website: https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tablet ... eys-theros

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira »

I'm no fan of MtG but I do admire the designers behind all the MtG/D&D crossovers tweaking the rules for an extra flavour.
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
Zontoxira's blog
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

zontoxira wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:52 pm
I'm no fan of MtG but I do admire the designers behind all the MtG/D&D crossovers tweaking the rules for an extra flavour.
Same here. I know nothing about the specific setting, but I'm interested in the mythic challenges, supernatural gifts, new races, god-weapons, and new sub-classes. If they lend themselves to an overall feeling of Greek myth, I might be able to borrow ideas for a possible Hellenistika 13th Age campaign.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Tim Baker wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:52 am
The book has been officially announced on the D&D website: https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tablet ... eys-theros
Dungeon Masters Guild content creators program for Theros confirmed!
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Cool! I hope we get some interesting content, even for those who don't plan on running games in the setting itself.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell »

I found this announcement quite puzzling. Beyond the general concept of "heroism", Theros has very little to recommend it as a D&D setting IMO. It feels very little different from the standard "lite" version of Greek myth which is already baked into the Monster Manual. If anything, the earlier prototype setting called Arkhos, despite how vaguely it was described, seems more interesting as a basis for a unique new D&D setting, worthy of presenting as an alternative to the Forgotten Realms. A game set in Theros isn't going to be all that divergent from a game set in Faerun; there are certainly differences, but IMO they are relatively minor. Not even as great as the difference between Greyhawk and Dragonlance, I'd say, and utterly dwarfed by the uniqueness of Ravnica and Eberron (from each other as well as from all previous D&D settings).

What they really need to do is revisit the MTG settings which are already ripe for D&Deification (pardon the pun on Theros's gods). While I would be greatly pleased to see Innistrad, it does have an obvious issue of semi-redundancy with Ravenloft, so I wouldn't push for it. And the failure to use the recently-introduced world of Eldraine is also quite understandable, since it has a lot of the same problems as Theros. But they're overlooking the obvious, overwhelming candidates:
* Zendikar, a world which was already modeled on D&D, yet bears little resemblance to any other D&D setting because of its "living lands" shtick.
* Mirrodin, the past version of a setting where living creatures all have metal growing on their bodies, and golems roam the metallic landscape.
* New Phyrexia, the future version of the aforementioned setting, where the most horrifying villains this side of Sauron-meets-The-Borg have taken over.
* Tarkir, a fantasy take on Mongol warlords where dragons are either extinct or the dominant species, depending on whether you travel in time....
* Dominaria, the original core setting for D&D, which has been through a half-dozen major apocalypses and is now rising from the ashes of history.
* Kamigawa, a much more unique take on Japanese mythology than Theros is on Greek, which could have used most of the same mechanics.

While several of these selections have certain issues, I would have thought at least half of them would see print before Theros did. I'm kinda baffled what sort of setting-building materials the Theros book is going to include; monsters and gods are the easy part, I want to know what passes for villages and castles and so forth in a setting so utterly divorced from the standard "medieval fantasy" milieu.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Is this book still coming out on June 2? All the local stores in my area are closed because of Covid-19.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

shesheyan wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:22 pm
Is this book still coming out on June 2? All the local stores in my area are closed because of Covid-19.
According to WotC and Amazon it is. But I guess we'll have to wait and see if that changes as the date gets closer. From what I've heard about printers in China, the chances don't seem good to me.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”