Pep Talk vs. Enhance/Bless

"The storm has a name..." Discuss both TORG and TORG Eternity here.
nikgervae
Goblin

Pep Talk vs. Enhance/Bless

Post by nikgervae »

What do folks think of the Pep Talk beta clearance perk? It looks interesting and I've got it earmarked for the future, but our party wizard already has Enhance and it does a lot of what Pep Talk does, for three rounds rather than one test (although I guess I could just keep pep-talking each round ;) ). Bless is similar, and affects the whole party, altough our priest doesn't have it (yet).

I'm wondering if the 2 prereqs (min 11xp) and 50xp gate (by which time I'll have other perks) make a good choice, especially when we do have Enhance in the party. That's a hefty total xp cost by the time I could take it, not that Persuation & the Helper perk are merely sunk costs.

On the plus side, it doesn't risk backlash or contradiction, and on an outstanding success it grants favored vs. Enhance's +3 or Bless's 1-minute duration and +2. It also targets Spirit, not the attribute being improved, so it'll work well on everybody in the party except maybe our priest.

I plan to have Telepathy by then, in any case, so if that combo is kosher then I think I might go for it no matter what because then I can be like a psychic Anthony Robbins. :D

Stolz
Orc

Re: Pep Talk vs. Enhance/Bless

Post by Stolz »

They all have pros and cons...of course.
Enhance has a good range (40m) but targets only one ally. The DN tends to be high if you want to boost something your friend is already good at. The duration is fixed to 3 rounds.
Bless has a short range (5m) but targets all allies around. The DN is average (10) and the duration may grow up to one minute, but the real effect is the most limited of all three.
Pep Talk has a range limited by the reach of your voice (which might be good or bad) and targets only one ally. The DN is a big thing here... If your allies tend to have low Spirit, then it's good for your Perk (an average Attribute being 8, it should be considered as a "pro"). As you said, the absence of backlash is great (compared to Enhance or Bless). The duration seems to be the weakest spot. Nonetheless, boosting someone's Attribute for one round might be usefull in many occasions, especially for Dramatic Resolutions. But in combat, it means you sacrifice your own turn or accept to deal with a multi-action penalty (remember, the perk does require a test and count as an action, so it's no simple or free action).

In my opinion, this perk is well balanced compared to the other two powers. However, as you mentioned, you also have to consider the expense of xp. Spells and Miracles come in a bunch of three for one perk... Pep Talk has the full cost for itself and requires Helper first (which I hope you want for itself). Nonetheless, the way you turn it, it seems more like a character-style choice than a real "meta-gaming" calculation. Considering this, I think you should just follow your instinct ;) .

nikgervae
Goblin

Post by nikgervae »

Good points all. The duration of Pep Talk is one test, before my next turn, not one round, so it wouldn't help multi-actions.

And yeah, perks that grant three abilities make all the other perks jealous. :D There are so many options it's a bit overwhelming.

Greymarch2000
Hobgoblin

Post by Greymarch2000 »

Depends where you are as well, enhance is contradictory in Core Earth, The Living Land and Pan Pacifica, covering much of Asia and all of North America. Pep Talk is usable everywhere with no chance of disconnection. Plus the Spellcraft perk only gives three abilities once, it's quite possible if you didn't take enhance as one of the starting spells with Spellcraft that it does in fact take a whole Perk slot later.

One of my players had this on a "persuasion build" character and used it to great success.
Jay Rutley
Torg Infiniverse Exchange Author
The Storm Knights' Guide to Monster Hunters, The Storm Knights' Guide to Dragon Warriors
Operation: Grim Harvest - A one Act adventure set in Core Earth featuring Stormbreak
Cosm Card Boosters: Aysle, Core Earth, Cyberpapacy, Living Land, Nile Empire, Pan Pacifica, Tharkold & Akasha

Stolz
Orc

Post by Stolz »

nikgervae wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:44 pm
Good points all. The duration of Pep Talk is one test, before my next turn, not one round, so it wouldn't help multi-actions.
It would still not prevent the target to perform a multi-action. However, the benefits would just apply to the chosen test (which is good for almost any Dramatic skill resolution process)...

I also agree about the fact that it avoids the "contradiction" problem. Yet it's seldomly the biggest concern about the value of a perk (at least in my own group).

About the Spellcaster or Miracle perks, they do give 3 powers only once, but now that we have some sourcebooks released, there's plenty of perks giving you 2 more spells or miracles (nobody needs to ever pick Spellcaster twice anymore, right?).

As said before, I think the main question remains to go for a specific character style. Also, some realms are limited when it comes to use miracles and/or spells (Tharkold for instance is quite different from oTorg and is far from the "best-at-everything" it was back then (before the Space Gods, of course)).

Kuildeous
Gnoll

Post by Kuildeous »

nikgervae wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:50 am
I'm wondering if the 2 prereqs (min 11xp)
It's only Helper as the prereq. So a perk, at least average Charisma, and a bunch of skill adds.

The major advantage of Pep Talk is that it is a a shtick that social characters can do. A political activist or a rock star might not be able to justify learning alteration magic or faith (or crank up their associated attributes), but such a character could benefit from being good at pep talks.
My Torg Eternity projects available
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land
Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Create your own Torg Eternity content to distribute on DriveThru

Atama
Orc

Post by Atama »

Perks like Pep Talk really benefit from Telepathy (which is also based on Charisma)..,
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek 8-))

Return to “TORG”