The Karameikos PbP, Going Down (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.
agathokles
Gold Dragon

Re: The Karameikos PbP, Going Down (IC thread)

Post by agathokles »

Does he know this Mera, and where we can find her?

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Highforge - Dorsumple
Scene XV - Biflen, Sviftmont 4th day, 993 AC

"Sure I know her, she does not live far from here, I can point you to her address. She's a bit of adventurous type so she could be away from town, indeed usually when she is in town she always shows up in my inn by the evening for a chat or a beer, but I've not seen her since that day. Normally this is a sign she is out for some adventure".
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama »

Have she told about her adventures? I mean where she have been?

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Highforge - Dorsumple

"Lot of places, mostly in the north around Bel Dalen and Bel Lue, and beyond, to trade and explore on the road to Dengar. Lots of humanoids, but also gems and metals. And sometimes to the south, mostly in the mushroom forests, the danger there are mostly goblins and undead", Toruk says.

Map of Underground territories http://pandius.com/Eveskyr_Shadowdeep.png

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Highforge - Dorsumple

Going to Mera's house as indicated by Toruk, you see it seems indeed closed and empty. But a nearby gnome lady is present, and she says Mera has gone south to gather mushrooms two days ago, and will probably return home tomorrow, as she always leaves the lady the keys to tend to her mushroom garden.
"We should probably also ask Toruk if he remember the unnamed dwarf who was interested in Tush's inventions. And maybe speak to the gnome commander Qint, just in case", Sythar says.
"And then decide if we want to wait for Mera or go searching her", Gara the dwarf cleric says.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama »

Bofar asks the neighbour if Mera went alone or did she have a company.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Highforge - Dorsumple

"For what I know she always travels alone. Brave girl she is. Unless she goes with some trader as a guard or scout, that is", the neighbour says.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama »

Bofar thanks the neighbour.

I think comander Quint is the next one to visit, then back to Toruk.

agathokles
Gold Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Lucius agrees, but before leaving, he asks the gnome lady if she recently saw Mera with a male gnome corresponding to the description of Tush.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Dorsumple

The lady says she has seen Mera once with a young gnome that could have been him, maybe a month ago, but only once.
Once left the area, you go to the massive fortress which dominates the town, to meet commander Qint, for whom you have introducing letters from Bonth and Wictar. There is still some time to wait as the guards lead you from gate to gate and from room to room, until you meet the gnome commander in a study on the third floor.
Qint is a middle aged gnome with a scar on his left cheek and seems a gnome of experience and wisdom.
"Welcome in Dorsumple, I understand you are here to search for a missing gnome, how can I help you?", he says after reading the letters.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Dorsumple

Qint says he knows Mera and Tush but for different reasons, and has always seen them separately, she as a scout who has been occasionally employed by the army, he as a representative of the Guild of Inventors of Eveskyr. Tush did not came to him in the last days however, last time he recalls to have seen him is a couple of months before and the last time Mera was employed by the army was at least three months ago.
About the dwarf mentioned by the gnome Losh who was apparwently interested in buying Tush's flying machines, he knows nothing, but says there are several travellers from Rockhome and Thyatis in Dorsumple, so that's not really strange.
About the note signed by 'L' you found in Tush's house and the note written by typing machine which Tush's mother received he has little to say. I am not at the moment aware of any specific person with a name beginning with L. "The fortress does not keep track of all visitors, or at least we keep track of all visitors coming with their own means, but the ones coming by train or caravans from Dengar or Eveskyr are not checked, because they are already checked at their origin. Also they are always dwarves, gnomes or more rarely members of other races which are well known to Dorsumple's residents", Qint says. He also add there is a typing machine in 'The Guild' and he is not aware of others in town. Commander Qint is willing to help should you need further assistance.
The Guild, Sythar explains, is a trading meeting places where traders and guild members meet, normally dwarves and gnomes from Dengar, Eveskyr or Thyatis but also sometimes humans from Darokin or halfling from the Shires may be present.
Later, Lohi Buhrdwal, the gnome scout, suggests to examine the typing machine and ask Toruk the innkeeper about the unnamed dwarf Tush met.
Salis Purklist, the gnome male wizard, and Gara, the dwarf female cleric, say they could use their abilities to interrogate someone and detect their true intentions, or at least attempt to. "But I doubt Toruk the innkeeper is hiding something, but maybe Mera or others could", Gara says.

agathokles
Gold Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Lucius agrees the Guild should be the next step -- checking the typing machine and whether someone met Tush more recently.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama »

The moment we find someone who needs to be properly interrogated, we all can be useful. But yes, to the Guild we will go.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Dorsumple

The Guild is a very busy place full of dwarves and gnomes, but you also see a couple of halfling and a human around. Your letters have quickly opened the door and gain you a talk with the Secretary, who apparently is the gnome who runs the place.
He introduces himself as Lotin, a old gnomes with big spectacles. Once up to speed on Tush's disappearance, he say he is not the one who wrote the note about Tush's flying machines. He says however there is a typing machine in the Guild, which all accredited members can use, so any trader who regualarly visits Dorsumple. About someone named L, the only one who comes to his mind is a Dengar trader named Larod who comes quite often. He should have departed to Dengar recently.

(Dengar=Rockhome in dwarvish)

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Dorsumple

A quick check by the secretary shows Larod's writing may fit the note you found in Tush's room, the one saying 'Please meet me, I am very interested in our work and I am sure I will be able to help you. L.'. The typing machine of the Guild also fit the note Tush sent his mom, the one saying 'Mom, I went to Dorsumple three days for work, see you soon'.
The secretary has nothing left to add and soon he goes. Gara, the dwarf female cleric, says: "Tush's mom said his note was not unusual, so he could not have lied to her, but only to Wictar, meaning he chose to came in Dorsumple for personal reasons he did not want to share with the Guild of Inventors, maybe selling something to a Dengar party".
"Or he was kidnapped, someone here typed the note for his mother but forgot to send one to the Guild of Inventors as well?", Salis the gnome wizard asks.
"This is strange indeed. To avoid suspicion, a note should have been sent to Wictar too. Maybe it get lost somehow", Lohi the gnome thief says.
"Whatever we still do not know if he went voluntarily or was taken. This Mera and this Larod are the ones who must know something. But she went south and he went north, so what do we do now?", Sythar the veteran warrior says.
"You forget this Lotin too has a name beginning with the 'L'. Mera and Larod could know nothing about Tush's disappearance. Lotin could be the one who wanted something from Tush, he could be the kidnapper", Estkor the warrior says.
All the others look at him surprised. The axe bearing warrior hardly said a word in the last two days. But it seems he is more sharp than he appears.

agathokles
Gold Dragon

Post by agathokles »

"Lotin is the easiest to verify. We just need to tail him for a while. The trader, Larod, is the next easier, if we know the route he took. Mera is the hardest -- she could be literally anywhere. I would suggest to try and catch up with Larod before he gets too far. At least three of us, but possibly more, need to remain here to tail Lotin and check whether Mera comes back.".

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama »

That would mean that you, Lucius, should lead a group that go after Larod and I stay here with Lohi and Salis to tail Lotin. Does that sound good to everyone? Lucius?

agathokles
Gold Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Yes. You might want to keep another person with you -- if this Lotin suspects to be followed, you may need to take turns tailing him, in pairs. On the other hand, I'm not familiar with the route to Dengar, so I need at least a guide.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama »

You do realise that I'm sending you away because you are too tall to be of help in any tailing here? says Bofar and slaps Lucius's back.

Anyway, you are right. You will need a guide unless anyone of you others knows the trail. If we need a guide then maybe Estkor stays here.

agathokles
Gold Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Well, I'll admit I would stick out by a couple of spans, grins Lucius, but of course, I was referring to the rest of the team.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Dorsumple
Scene XVI - Biflen, Sviftmont 4th day, 993 AC

Then it is decided Bofar, Estkor, Lohi and Salis will follow Lotin in Dorsumple. Lucius, Sythar and Gara instead will search for Larod in the road to Dengar.
"There is a train line in construction between Eveskyr and Dengar, but it's a gigantic project which could last decades, or more. So far, there is just a good road, relatively travelled but very dark, as we are in the Shadowdeep. I think we should buy you Lucius some 'Dark spectacles' a gnomish device which will improve your vision greatly. And we will probably need riding lizards. They are expensive, but they are also fast", Sythar says.
"One of us could stay near Mera's house and the others trail Lotin when he goes outside?", Lohi asks Bofar.

agathokles
Gold Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Sturm wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:16 pm
"There is a train line in construction between Eveskyr and Dengar, but it's a gigantic project which could last decades, or more. So far, there is just a good road, relatively travelled but very dark, as we are in the Shadowdeep. I think we should buy you Lucius some 'Dark spectacles' a gnomish device which will improve your vision greatly. And we will probably need riding lizards. They are expensive, but they are also fast", Sythar says.
"Yes, those are good ideas. Let's procure spectacles and mounts, and leave as soon as we can"

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama »

Bofar thinks for awhile before answering Lohi.

You, Lohi, are propably the best one of us for tailing, so you should take main responsibility on that. I and Estkor will follow you. That means, that you, Salis, will watch Mera's house. Unless anyone have a better idea?

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Dorsumple to Bel Dalen - Lucius and others
Scene XVI - Biflen, Sviftmont 4-5th day, 993 AC

The lizards and the spectacles can be bought at the Guild, with a credit note of the Eveskyr Guard. Sythar says this is also convenient as Lotin will think you are going after Larod and Mera only and hopefully will not suspect he is being watched.
The spectacles are almost black glasses, yet when Lucius wears them, he can see in the dark much better than he ever had.
"They still need some minimal light to let you see, but that will not be a problem, as we will use a typical dwarven trick to avoid being caught in a pitch black situation", Sythar says, nodding to Gara. The dwarf female cleric shows a small pebble which faintly glows of white light, not so bright to blind, but bright enough to light several meters around you, especially with the spectacles.
"If something nasty gets too near, first thing I throw the pebble at it, allowing us to see better and hopefully also disturbing the creature. In some cases, I could also cry 'light'. This mean I will produce a much brighter light with magic, so divert your eyes for it for a moment to avoid being blinded", Gara says.
The lizards are about 1,5 meters tall and almost 3 meters long, with greyish green light scales. They seems quite docile animals and Lucius soon discovers they move more smootly than horses. After saying goodbye to the others the group leaves Dorsumple.
The first part of the road are the quiet 10 miles to Eveskyr, dimly lit by the tracks of the train, with frequent groups of travellers. But then the road turns to the north near Eveskyr, with about 35 miles to Ben Dalen.
Sythar says you'll try to ride for a part of the night to try to reach Larod's caravan before that city. It's early in the night when some stones begin flying all around you. One hits Lucius on the armor, denting it but doing little damage. Another hits Gara's lizard, forcing here to dismount, almost falling. The cleric lets the pebble fall and you can see quite well what's happening. Black furred bugbears are running toward you with a roar, armed with shields and axes, at least five of them.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Dorsumple - Bofar and others
Scene XVI - Biflen, Sviftmont 4-5th day, 993 AC

Salis agrees to watch Mera's house. The gnome wizard will report if she returns this evening, they you all agree to meet in the only inn of the town.
Lohi in the meantime will follow Lotin when he goes outside, with Bofar and Estkor slightly behind. Fortunately there is a sort of busy tavern near the Guild, so it's quite easy to wait there.
Eventually by evening Lotin leaves, and you follow. His house is apparently a fine building near the fortress. You see no other lights when he enters, so possibly he lives alone. But just a few minutes after he entered, another figure knocks. It seems to be a gnome, but he or she is hidden by a heavy black cape. The unknown gnome stays inside for at least 15 minutes before leaving, always hidden under the cape.
"Should we follow this one?" Lohi asks Bofar.

Return to “The Crystal Globe”