Can the Living Jungle adventures be turned into an Adventure Path?

Soaring above the jungles of southern Kara-Tur, the Malatran Plateau has been invisible to the natives of Abeir-Toril for thousands of years. Most sages consider the area nothing more than an uninteresting wilderness.

Moderator: Cthulhudrew

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Can the Living Jungle adventures be turned into an Adventure Path?

Post by Big Mac »

I was just answering Gnarfunk's Anyone played a home campaign with the LJ modules? topic, when I thought about a Malatra: The Living Jungle Adventure Path.

Malatra: The Living Jungle was a bit to ahead of it's time for Adventure Path's, as it started in the later part of the 2nd Edition Era, and Paizo invented Adventure Paths for Greyhawk adventures in the 3rd Edition Era.

So there is no way that the RPGA would have built an Adventure Path into the various Malatra adventures.

But I know that some Living Jungle designers did more than one adventure.

And I am pretty sure that the RPGA team made adjustments to the setting, based on some of the collated results of what players were doing in different sessions of the same adventure.

So it seems like there were a lot of elements of early adventures influencing later ones.

Has anyone stepped back and looked at all the adventures to see if there are overall themes that would allow a GM to run all the Living Jungle adventures as an Adventure Path?

Is there one clear Adventure Path in the modules? Or are there two or more competing story arcs that might work better separately?

Are there any odd-ball adventures that, while good, don't fit into a logical progression with other adventures? How well would those modules work as optional side-quests that can be used to boost player XP or give a break from the main plotline/s?

Would the adventures work best in the original published order? Or are there any that you would swap around?

Are there some adventures that fit together (in the same plotline) but which can work in multiple different orders, because none of them invalidate anything from the others?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

apotheot
Troll

Re: Can the Living Jungle adventures be turned into an Adventure Path?

Post by apotheot »

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:32 pm
I was just answering Gnarfunk's Anyone played a home campaign with the LJ modules? topic, when I thought about a Malatra: The Living Jungle Adventure Path.

Malatra: The Living Jungle was a bit to ahead of it's time for Adventure Path's, as it started in the later part of the 2nd Edition Era, and Paizo invented Adventure Paths for Greyhawk adventures in the 3rd Edition Era.
Not Quite. The first time the term was used was actually for the first 8 adventures of 3e beginning with The Sunken Citadel and ending with Bastion of Broken Souls. But the concept had been around for a while, as Dungeon Magazine had done some multiple part adventures.

Big Mac wrote:
And I am pretty sure that the RPGA team made adjustments to the setting, based on some of the collated results of what players were doing in different sessions of the same adventure.

So it seems like there were a lot of elements of early adventures influencing later ones.
Yes, this is the nature of Living campaigns. Things players do WILL have an impact, at least if done by a majority of tables....or if something is done that is SO outrageous that it cannot possibly not be included.
Big Mac wrote:
Has anyone stepped back and looked at all the adventures to see if there are overall themes that would allow a GM to run all the Living Jungle adventures as an Adventure Path?
I began running the adventures for my home group back in 2013 at the rate of about one every other month or so, though long breaks were taken while both I and other players ran other games periodically. Currently, we are about 20 adventures away from finishing the official RPGA ones, having done them in as best to chronological order as we could at the time. Since it was a home game, I was very interested in connecting the adventures. Of course, I didn't have access to all the adventures back then, and even now I am still missing Leonard Dessert's "If the Shu Fits" as well as a few that the RPGA never were involved with. But there are a few that best serviced if done with a companion adventure or two. Steve Jay's Lacerial Trilogy comes to mind, particularly parts 2 and 3 done in that order.
Big Mac wrote:
Is there one clear Adventure Path in the modules? Or are there two or more competing story arcs that might work better separately?
There was very little problem 'placing' an adventure within the campaign, as there the only major markers on when something should happen revovled around NPCs (Who right now is alive, dead, sick, etc and have the Ancient Enemy arrived or not yet?). As for competing stories...not really. The idea was originally that any hero (PC) could do any adventure in any order provided they were of the correct level. As the meta-plot evolved it became harder to do certain adventures, but by then the RPGA had likely retired them anyway.
Big Mac wrote:
Are there any odd-ball adventures that, while good, don't fit into a logical progression with other adventures? How well would those modules work as optional side-quests that can be used to boost player XP or give a break from the main plotline/s?
Not that I can think of for the campaign. Other Living campaigns definitely had that. Living City and Living Death could be strong examples...but I would have to really look into it to learn more.
Big Mac wrote:
Would the adventures work best in the original published order? Or are there any that you would swap around?
As mentioned, the modules were meant to be done in any order. However, the meta-plot likely benefits from doing the roughly in the order presented. That said, there are a few where the order is important (such as the Lacerial Trilogy, as well as doing part three of that trilogy prior to doing any of the other 3e adventures as that is where characters were converted IN character). There is also one pair of modules that definitely needs swapping if you intend to do both with the same character.
Big Mac wrote:
Are there some adventures that fit together (in the same plotline) but which can work in multiple different orders, because none of them invalidate anything from the others?
The entire Ancient Enemy story arch, and the lead up to it fits pretty well together.

In order these would be:
Quest for the Snake Mother
Trembling Village
Huroola Prophet
Allies or Enemies
Forgotten Father (this is the swapped one I mentioned)
Necromancer's Stone
Courage of a Coward
Dark Village
Warriors of the Katimaya
Shadows of Sin
Shadows of Earth
Come the Tiger
Shadows of Change (from here it converts to 3e)
Swarm
Come the Lion
Snake Time
Night of Dead Chiefs
A Time for Heroes (campaign conclusion)

But in answer to your unspoken question; what i am currently writing for 5e amounts to a 10 episode adventure path. I intend to get them to the DMs Guild eventually, but I want to complete them all first. Currently, I have written the first 4 (at the rate of about 1 a year due to all my other hobbies and writing projects including a WHOPPING number of 3e adventures for Malatra many of which Steve tasked me with completing, so i expect to be done in 2025ish...right about the time 6E comes out...
-apotheot

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

apotheot wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:17 pm
Big Mac wrote:
The entire Ancient Enemy story arch, and the lead up to it fits pretty well together.

In order these would be:
Trembling Village
Huroola Prophet
Allies or Enemies
Necromancer's Stone
Courage of a Coward
Dark Village
Warriors of the Katimaya
Shadows of Sin
Shadows of Earth
Come the Tiger
Swarm
Come the Lion
Snake Time
Night of Dead Chiefs
Sounds interesting, but I can't find all these adventures in the Digital Fortress: Living Jungle website (http://identicalsoftware.com/rpg/dnd/living_jungle/) - is there any other place to look for them?

On top of this, the first adventures start at low/mid level. Does this mean that anyway there should be some other introductory adventures? Are there introductory adventures to this setting that you'd recommend?
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

apotheot wrote:
what i am currently writing for 5e amounts to a 10 episode adventure path. I intend to get them to the DMs Guild eventually, but I want to complete them all first. Currently, I have written the first 4 (at the rate of about 1 a year due to all my other hobbies and writing projects including a WHOPPING number of 3e adventures for Malatra many of which Steve tasked me with completing, so i expect to be done in 2025ish...right about the time 6E comes out...
Regardless of the edition, I'd be interested in learning more when you release these. They sound like they'd go a long way toward helping newbies to the setting get a firm grasp of the kind of adventure/tone it's intended to evoke.

apotheot
Troll

Post by apotheot »

Yaztromo wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:09 am
apotheot wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

In order these would be:
Trembling Village
Huroola Prophet
Allies or Enemies
Necromancer's Stone
Courage of a Coward
Dark Village
Warriors of the Katimaya
Shadows of Sin
Shadows of Earth
Come the Tiger
Swarm
Come the Lion
Snake Time
Night of Dead Chiefs
Sounds interesting, but I can't find all these adventures in the Digital Fortress: Living Jungle website (http://identicalsoftware.com/rpg/dnd/living_jungle/) - is there any other place to look for them?
A few of them are on the facebook group, but as I pointed out good luck. It has taken me 5+ years to track down what I have, and a few were hardcopies purchased at auction.
Yaztromo wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:09 am
On top of this, the first adventures start at low/mid level. Does this mean that anyway there should be some other introductory adventures? Are there introductory adventures to this setting that you'd recommend?
As said, this list isn't so much an Adventure Path as it is a Story Thread. But if you are looking for good low level adventures, several of the early ones that introduce the setting work best. These of course being the hardest to find as they were so early and pre-internet.

From the Gods of Fire Mountain
Along the River of Laughing Idols
Into the Valley of the Spirits
Until the End of the World
Plague
To Fight for a Tigers Honor
or Once Broken

all are pretty good starting adventures

Also Trembling Village could easily be done first in a pinch.
One note, best to ignore the xp rewards per any individual adventure in a home game and instead just determine when the heroes level on your own, that will help them get to where they should be when they need to be there. It takes some planning.
-Apotheot

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

It sounds like getting the adventure modules is actually the first, big hurdle to overcome... :roll:

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

apotheot wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:07 pm
if you are looking for good low level adventures, several of the early ones that introduce the setting work best. These of course being the hardest to find as they were so early and pre-internet.

From the Gods of Fire Mountain
Along the River of Laughing Idols
Into the Valley of the Spirits
Until the End of the World
Plague
To Fight for a Tigers Honor
or Once Broken

all are pretty good starting adventures

Also Trembling Village could easily be done first in a pinch.
Out of them, the only one that I could find is Once Broken http://identicalsoftware.com/rpg/dnd/li ... broken.pdf :arrow:

apotheot
Troll

Post by apotheot »

Yaztromo wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:56 pm
Out of them, the only one that I could find is Once Broken http://identicalsoftware.com/rpg/dnd/li ... broken.pdf :arrow:
yup, thats where I started. It does a good job of giving you a feel for what type of adventures the setting typically has. I would read any and all you can find, (order doesnt matter here) it will help you decide what you want to do.
-apotheot

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo »

Thanks

Return to “Malatra: The Living Jungle”