White Zone Area - a Question for the Developers

"The storm has a name..." Discuss both TORG and TORG Eternity here.
Here Comes The Flood
Hobgoblin

White Zone Area - a Question for the Developers

Post by Here Comes The Flood »

Some of the cosms in the past have had an area roped-off for GMs to develop, such as the White Zone in Living Land and Portugal in Cyberpapacy.

The devs have mentioned in posts that some areas won't have one (like Aysle) and others will have unofficial, Word of God ones like Babylon in Nile Empire.

As I didn't see any relevant sidebar in the sourcebook, should we assume Tharkold just doesn't have a GM area or is there an 'unofficial' one as in Nile Empire?

Thanks in advance.
"Those who insist on altering the framework should design their own game"
E Gary Gygax, Dragon Magazine, 1976

TorgHacker
Troll

Re: White Zone Area - a Question for the Developers

Post by TorgHacker »

Assume Tharkold doesn't have one. I've added one in all the books I've written but that doesn't seem to be universal with all the writers.
Torg Eternity Designer
Torg Eternity Community Manager
Ulisses Spiele

Stolz
Ogre

Post by Stolz »

TorgHacker wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:37 pm
Assume Tharkold doesn't have one. I've added one in all the books I've written but that doesn't seem to be universal with all the writers.
Considering the size of the occupied territory, I think a "blank" space isn't as needed as for other cosms. It will be easy to choose any spot somewhere in the big nowhere Russia is offering... Also, because the realm is separated in three different "flavours", the need for a blank space seems less obvious.

Green Dragon 308
Orc

Post by Green Dragon 308 »

Technically Aysle does have one. The book says absolutely nothing about Wales. It is part of The Kingdom, but that's all we know.

GeniusCodeMonkey
Gnoll

Post by GeniusCodeMonkey »

Ooh Wales. Good point. Full of Myths and Legends... and some of the fiercest fighters in the history of the Isle.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Zackofhousezenobi
Orc

Post by Zackofhousezenobi »

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:54 pm
Ooh Wales. Good point. Full of Myths and Legends... and some of the fiercest fighters in the history of the Isle.
Home of the Longbow. And the Original Robin Hood!

Wakshaani
Bugbear

Post by Wakshaani »

And a nation with a DRAGON on the FLAG, because heck YEAH dragons in Aysle!

Zackofhousezenobi
Orc

Wakshaani wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:52 pm
What better place for s Weredragon to set up shop? Lol

Also Wakshani, I sent you a DM. Did you get it?

Wakshaani
Bugbear

Post by Wakshaani »

Zackofhousezenobi wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:56 pm
Wakshaani wrote:

I did not, no. Did you send it here or via Email?

Zackofhousezenobi
Orc

Wakshaani wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:23 pm
Zackofhousezenobi wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:56 pm
Wakshaani wrote:

I did not, no. Did you send it here or via Email?
Here. I've had some problems w my internet. Responding in a minute.

Green Dragon 308
Orc

Post by Green Dragon 308 »

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:54 pm
Thanks. I did a sheet noting which houses/clans/etc are where, and caught that.

Wotan
Bugbear

Post by Wotan »

Zackofhousezenobi wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:23 pm
Home of the Longbow. And the Original Robin Hood!
Can you expound on Robin Hood's Welsh origins at all? Unless I've missed something (& your post piqued my interest enough to go on a fairly extensive Google dive) his origins appear to be English.

The earliest records seem to be late 13th century court documents, from several English regions, where multiple criminals are noted as having the nickname "Robin Hood", or variants. Suggesting that the name may have been a synonym for itinerant criminals.
There's a later (late 14thC) literary reference to the "rymes of Robyn Hood" which imply he's a well known folk figure of that era, and the earlier use in court records suggest (but by no means prove) that this folk lore goes back at least a century. But before that it all seems a bit murky.
I did dig up a vaguely analogous Welsh figure, "Twm Sion Cati", but he's based on a guy who lived in the 16th-17th century. So he's clearly not the origin.

Not meaning to jump all over your passing comment, but I would be genuinely interested if you do have any more info, or even the name of a Welsh mythic figure who's a candidate for the origins of the Robin Hood folk tales. TIA :)
/geek
Nathan Smith
Glitchfinder General
"I don't mean to nitpick but..."

Zackofhousezenobi
Orc

Wotan wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:59 am
Can you expound on Robin Hood's Welsh origins at all? Unless I've missed something (& your post piqued my interest enough to go on a fairly extensive Google dive) his origins appear to be English.

The earliest records seem to be late 13th century court documents, from several English regions, where multiple criminals are noted as having the nickname "Robin Hood", or variants. Suggesting that the name may have been a synonym for itinerant criminals.
There's a later (late 14thC) literary reference to the "rymes of Robyn Hood" which imply he's a well known folk figure of that era, and the earlier use in court records suggest (but by no means prove) that this folk lore goes back at least a century. But before that it all seems a bit murky.
I did dig up a vaguely analogous Welsh figure, "Twm Sion Cati", but he's based on a guy who lived in the 16th-17th century. So he's clearly not the origin.

Not meaning to jump all over your passing comment, but I would be genuinely interested if you do have any more info, or even the name of a Welsh mythic figure who's a candidate for the origins of the Robin Hood folk tales. TIA :)
/geek
There is a Trilogy of novels by Stephen Lawhead. The first is simply called "Hood". He argues that Robin Hood and his men could not have hidden for very long in Sherwood Forest. It has wide open spaces between the trees which doesnt hide groups of people very well. Wales on the other hand has a thick Primal Forest perfectly suited for outlaws.

Add to the fact that the Welsh created the Longbow and I think he has a good argument. It's more theory than fact but that's myths and legends I suppose.

Wotan
Bugbear

Post by Wotan »

Zackofhousezenobi wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:33 pm
There is a Trilogy of novels by Stephen Lawhead. The first is simply called "Hood". He argues that Robin Hood and his men could not have hidden for very long in Sherwood Forest. It has wide open spaces between the trees which doesnt hide groups of people very well. Wales on the other hand has a thick Primal Forest perfectly suited for outlaws.

Add to the fact that the Welsh created the Longbow and I think he has a good argument. It's more theory than fact but that's myths and legends I suppose.
Yeah, YMMV (obviously! :) ) but Welsh Robin seems to be a pet theory of Lawhead's without any historical evidence to back it up. Areas of England were still wild enough for wolves and boar in the middle ages, so it doesn't really seem a stretch for outlaws to be able to hide out too.
Plus, the Welsh are generally pretty passionate about their national heroes, and especially those who stuck it to the (Nor)man. *grin* So if Robin were Welsh it would be unusual that there's no apparent memory of this origin, or obvious analogous figure, in Welsh folk tradition. *shrug*
Nathan Smith
Glitchfinder General
"I don't mean to nitpick but..."

Return to “TORG”