4E article at The Bell of Lost Souls

Discuss 4th Edition rules, PoL setting concepts, and the GSL here.
The Book-House: Find 4th Edition products, Find D&D Essentials products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

talsine
Priest of Syrinx

Re: 4E article at The Bell of Lost Souls

Post by talsine »

Havard wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:10 am

Some things I liked about 4E was:
  • Minion Rule for monsters
  • Fast Pre-Prime (compared to 3E especially)
  • Cantrips
  • Innovative ideas about the planes, especially the Feywild and the Shadowfell (I am less a fan of the Elemental Chaos, but it was interesting.)
  • The Nentir Vale setting, even though I would have preferred if they had stuck with the Points of Light model
-Havard
While a lot of these (cantrips, encounter design) have been adopted by 5E and PF2, i really wish that the Minion rules would have been. It's such a great rule and something i use in pretty much all of my games now.

I am also one of the few people who wishes that Nentir Vale had remained Points of Light, cause Points of Light was so easy to just drop into anyone's setting. I am also not a fan of metaplot / setting cannon. I honestly find that progressing a setting just makes me less interested in it, cause i don't have the time to constantly keep up with all of the changes.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Havard wrote:
Having said that, there are other editions that don't match our tastes that well either, but I found that those editions were usually easier to tweak into what we wanted.
I think this was another critical weakness of 4e -- when it was WotC's current edition, it caused many people to simply switch to PF.
Nowadays, however, few people get into 4e unless they want to play it more or less as it is.

GP

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

I've never wrote this before but the Points of Light idea is very close to the submission I made in the D&D setting contest WoTC made that resulted in Eberron. I used the words of "Points of Light" to describe haven-cities and a hostile world. Sadly, I lost my original typed and sealed envelop I sent to myself as proof of concept. I wouldn't have acted on that even if I still had the envelope. It was just one page after all.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Havard wrote:
We tried 4E a few times, but quickly decided that it wasn't suited for our tastes.
I totally get that not every game appeals to every group of players. I'm glad we live in an era where there are so many different games to choose from! I appreciate that you took the time to try it out and form your opinion based on experience.
Havard wrote:
What does "fast pre-prime" refer to? I don't think I've heard this terminology before.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

shesheyan wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:30 am
I've never wrote this before but the Points of Light idea is very close to the submission I made in the D&D setting contest WoTC made that resulted in Eberron. I used the words of "Points of Light" to describe haven-cities and a hostile world. Sadly, I lost my original typed and sealed envelop I sent to myself as proof of concept. I wouldn't have acted on that even if I still had the envelope. It was just one page after all.
Wow, that's really interesting. I wonder if it somehow influenced the design of the default 4e setting, even if it was subconscious on the designers' part.

talsine
Priest of Syrinx

Post by talsine »

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:48 am
Havard wrote:
What does "fast pre-prime" refer to? I don't think I've heard this terminology before.
I assumed they ment Prep time, or pre-game time.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

talsine wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:07 am
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks. And I completely agree.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:47 am
talsine wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:07 am
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks. And I completely agree.
Heh, I think that is what I meant to write! I have no idea why different words came out when I typed! LOL! :D

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:50 am
shesheyan wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:30 am
Wow, that's really interesting. I wonder if it somehow influenced the design of the default 4e setting, even if it was subconscious on the designers' part.
The story I tell myself is that my submission was in the top 3. I was "almost famous". :lol:

The truth is probably that it is only coincidence. "Points of Light" is not a super creative or very original name.

Return to “D&D 4th Edition”