[AD&D] N4 Treasure Hunt, A level 0 adventure

Discuss AD&D 1E here.
The Book-House: Find 1st Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

[AD&D] N4 Treasure Hunt, A level 0 adventure

Post by shesheyan »

Stumbled in this intro adventure for new AD&D players today.

Wiki: "Allston changed that all in "Treasure Hunt" by offering up one of the most carefully written introductory adventures ever for the D&D games. To start with, both the players and the GMs can read some introductory notes on D&D, which matches what TSR did in the early B-series adventures. However, Allston goes far beyond that, advising GMs on how to run their game throughout the adventure text; he talks about everything from addressing questions from the players to timing the game and staging different combats. There's even a two-page appendix on what to do if the adventure starts going wrong."

Have you played this adventure? How was it?

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... 29_0_0_0_0

Parzival
Gnoll

Re: [AD&D] N4 Treasure Hunt, A level 0 adventure

Post by Parzival »

Never even knew that existed. I do remember when Lenard Lakofka wrote about the concept of 0 Level characters in his Dragon column. At the time, I thought it was a neat idea, but none of my gaming buddies warmed to the suggestion.
DM’s Rule: The best answer is the one that’s the most fun, or horrifies your players. Which is the same thing. :cool:

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

I liked at it because Aaron Allston wrote it and I figured it was possible to connect it to Mystara, probably placing it at the Isle of Dawn. Later I found that it had been retconned into the Moonshae Isles of the Forgotten Realms. I never actually ran or played the adventure though.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Havard wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:54 pm
I liked at it because Aaron Allston wrote it and I figured it was possible to connect it to Mystara, probably placing it at the Isle of Dawn. Later I found that it had been retconned into the Moonshae Isles of the Forgotten Realms. I never actually ran or played the adventure though.

-Havard
It's generic. I would place it with the Minrothad Guilds islands.

Parzival
Gnoll

Post by Parzival »

So it’s on an island in the sea, and your 0 Level adventurers have to get there before having their first adventure? Seems a bit of an off concept, especially if you’re using a landlocked location like Threshold, Kelvin, Penhaligon, Darokin, Glantri, Greyhawk, etc...
But I admit to not having read it, and I’m generally a fan of Allston’s work on D&D, so perhaps it’s more versatile than that, or even has a built-in explanation for how the would-be adventurers wind up there, regardless of origin.
DM’s Rule: The best answer is the one that’s the most fun, or horrifies your players. Which is the same thing. :cool:

agathokles
Gold Dragon

Post by agathokles »

IIRC the characters are normal people who shipwreck on an island and must find a way out.
GP

Parzival
Gnoll

Post by Parzival »

agathokles wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:50 pm
IIRC the characters are normal people who shipwreck on an island and must find a way out.
GP
That makes a bit more sense, but it still defines them as at least starting from a place that has a sea-going port. I guess it was better than the “you wake up in prison” start! :lol:

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Parzival wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:40 pm
agathokles wrote:
GP
That makes a bit more sense, but it still defines them as at least starting from a place that has a sea-going port. I guess it was better than the “you wake up in prison” start! :lol:
Not really. From what I read you start as slaves on a pirate ship that is ship wrecked during a storm and you end up on a beach of the island.

Parzival
Gnoll

Post by Parzival »

shesheyan wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:11 am
Parzival wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:40 pm
agathokles wrote:
GP
Not really. From what I read you start as slaves on a pirate ship that is ship wrecked during a storm and you end up on a beach of the island.
:facepalm:

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

I bought this adventure purely because I wanted to read the 0-level PC rules. They fall somewhere between the simplicity of the Dungeon Crawl Classics 0-level character and the 13th Age Novice-1 character. I expected the adventure to be similar to a DCC funnel, but it felt more mundane than that. I never ended up running it, but it was interesting to see the approach. I'm not sure how valuable it is to have 0-level characters in a game like AD&D, where 1st-level PCs are already so fragile and have few mechanical abilities.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew »

There are 0-level rules in the AD&D Greyhawk Adventures book. I'm not sure how they compare to the ones here (if they are the same, simplified, other).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac »

Do they connect with the rules for 0th-level Magic-Users published in Dragon and then Imagine?
Just to confuse, these effectively had three levels of 0th level MUs, where they started at 1 cantrip per day and then increased through 2 to 3/day before finally getting 4 (= 1 1st level spell) as a 1st level MU.

The Imagine issue (or sorry, the second one as I think they split the article across 2 months) had an adventure set in the village of Lyndum where to graduate the trainee MUs had a few days to spend helping the villagers with their problems and daily chorse.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

ricks03
Orc

Post by ricks03 »

I've run this multiple times. It's a great little adventure introducing people who've never played. From a experienced player, the direct interaction of a god can seem a bit much. But it's tied together fine. Many of the the encounters are simple (meeting the avowed module purpose)

It tosses disparate PCs together as those shanghaied into a ship, and then the ship shipwrecks - as good a player intro as any, and far better than, "you all meet in a bar". Since the campaign has to start somewhere, a sea-going port isn't really an issue. And a port city is a great place to bring many PCs together from all over. If you want a desert nomad, a paladin from the mountains, a dwarf from the dwarven kingdoms, and an elf from the elven forest, what better place for them all to be than people arriving at a port from somewhere else?

It also sets up an extended at sea campaign. From Treasure Hunt you can go to the Saltmarsh series (easily providing a ship), the Bone Hill series, the Lost Isle of Castanamir, The Crystal Caves, and (with some filler) Needle.

Most of these AD&D modules of this later (mostly UK) generation tend to be ignored by the AD&D community, and it's really a shame. They're the true golden age.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

ricks03 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:40 pm
Most of these AD&D modules of this later (mostly UK) generation tend to be ignored by the AD&D community, and it's really a shame. They're the true golden age.
I really like the UK modules. They are less about going underground and more about solving an actual mystery. More my style. ;)

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:07 am
There are 0-level rules in the AD&D Greyhawk Adventures book. I'm not sure how they compare to the ones here (if they are the same, simplified, other).
I've never compared them side-by-side. The short answer is, "no, they're significantly different." If you'd like to know more, here are some highlights as I read through them.

N4 Treasure Hunt
  • Ability Scores: Recommends Method 1 for ability scores in "Creating the Player Character" in the Dungeon Masters Guide, but leaves it up to the DM.
  • Race: Any race found in the PHB is valid, as long as they meet the ability score requirements.
  • Class: You don't have a class.
  • Alignment: You don't have an alignment. You can consider this Neutral. The DM will select your alignment for you at the end of the adventure, based on their evaluation of your character's behavior.
  • Hit Points: The DM has three options:
    • Roll 1d6
    • Roll 3d6 and take the highest score
    • Start with 6 hit points
  • Languages: You know Common and, if you're a demihuman, your race's tongue. You don't know an alignment language, but will learn one after the adventure. You don't know additional languages, even if your Intelligence would otherwise support it.
  • Secondary Skills: You know one secondary skill.
  • Experience Points: You start with -500 XP.
Greyhawk Adventures
  • Aptitude Points: Each PC begins the game with 90 + 1d20 aptitude points (AP). They can spend 1-8 AP per game week to raise a single ability score or hit points.
  • Ability Scores: Each ability score begins with a value of 3. Demihumans may spend enough AP to reach their minimum ability scores before beginning play. Maximum ability scores are 18 or the racial maximum.
  • Race: You may select from the races in the PHB.
  • Class: You gain one Instruction Point per week, which you use to learn class abilities. You roll on the Learning Table to see if you're successful in each use of the ability. You can instead roll to see if you're lucky once per day per ability.
  • Alignment: You start as True Neutral, although you can choose to start with an alignment tendency that isn't neutral. The DM tracks a numeric value for your alignment tendency and communicates the tendency, not the score, at the end of each adventure. When the PC reaches 1st level, the tendency becomes the actual alignment.
  • Hit Points: Begins with a value of 3. AP can be spent to reach a maximum of 18 HP. Hit points are re-rolled when the character reaches 1st level.
  • Languages: You know one language. Additional languages, up to the number allowed by your Intelligence, are purchased with an AP.
  • Secondary Skills: You may purchase proficiencies with an AP.
  • Experience Points: No XP, and characters cannot gain XP during this level. They reach 1st level when they run out of AP and have spent sufficient time training for their class.

AlHazred
Gnoll

Post by AlHazred »

I liked the optional AD&D 1E rules where you had multiple 0-levels to go through. Cavaliers got them in UA, there was an article in Dragon #120 for druids ("Higher Aspirations," by Mark L. Palmer,) and an article in Dragon #123 for magic-users ("The Mystic College," by James A. Yates.) I don't think there was any further development in any "official" source for the concept, which is a shame because I think it had real potential. I recall playing in a campaign where everybody was just starting out, training to be adventurers, and we uncovered a conspiracy among various guilds. I think the DM developed rules for 0-level clerics, fighters, and thieves, but I'm no longer in touch with him. :(
ROLAND VOLZ
dndalnj@gmail.com - http://bit.ly/dndalnj

Running: D&D 5E Adventurers League, Traveller Hero 6E | Playing: D&D 5E, Fate Core | Planning: Fate Core, D&D 5E Sandbox

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

Return to “AD&D 1st Edition”