Psychodelic Solo: Into Ivy Mansion

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.
Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Psychodelic Solo: Into Ivy Mansion

Post by Coronoides »

My live table players are visiting Longsaddle in the Forgotten Realms. To help flesh out their visit I bought a DM's Guild Adventure "Into Ivy Mansion" (by M.T. Black), an adventure that takes place in the abode of the eccentric family of wizards that rules over the village in a laisre faire manner. Rather than just reading the adventure I thought I'd use another DM's Guild Favourite "Elminster's Guide to Solo Adventuring" to play through the thing. I decided also to try out a rather experimental character concept at a high level a Gnome Image Maker from AD&D "Book of Gnomes & Halflings" made with 5e rules. Between the magic run-amuck of the eccentric wizards' home and an illusionist with the knob turned to 11 don't believe anything you see and reality will probably become entirely optional.
Get ready for a trip folks!

The ponies Dibs and Ponkle trot down the road on a pleasant summer afternoon pulling my colourful caravan behind them ignoring the showers of flowers, iridescent humming birds, and tiny fireworks constantly exploding over them. They are long used to my doodlings. Normally, they'd plod lazily along but they must of smelled the village ahead and be eager for fresh oats, a rest, and a brushing down. This pleases me, I'm eager to get to the home of my colleagues the Harpells. Every visit is wonderful. The Harpells' love of experimentation and magic nearly rivals even that of us gnomes if I do say so myself.
Local children, most bigger than I am, chase my cart laughing as I produce rains of blue stars, a marching band of yellow ducklings, then golden flying fish. The young Tristan Harpell wrote that he would contact me at the Gambling Golem so I make my way to that inn. Pulling up before the inn, I hop down from the driver's seat through the cloud of golden fish who shimmer into a halo of bright sapphires orbiting my pointed hat. I hitch the ponies. "They like to be patted" I suggest to the local children and them thus distracted I can slip into the adult environs of the inn without two many groans.
Some traveller's stare, but many locals ignore my fabulous embroidered robe, fanfare of trumpets, and halo of gems.
"So your back Arzook, the usual?" grunts the bartender.
"The Astounding Arzook" I correct him "and don't skimp on the salt"
Ahh, ale nice and salty so you never lose your thirst. Humans don't know what they're missing. I set the mug on the table and with a flick of my embroidered sleeve the gem halo cascades into the mug and a miniature great whale spouts and breaches in my ale. Adjusting my purple velveteen robes for comfort I wait for young Tristan.

Here is the first page of the character sheet for our intrepid entertainer.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wyrms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/3x30bz9qi4i0d ... 0.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/c0zjp7d2mtfwe ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Re: Psychodelic Solo: Into Ivy Mansion

Post by Coronoides »

EDIT OOPs missed a bit

The mug in my hand sneezes, spewing the contents all over the floor. Well, here is a delight, I didn’t do that.
I see that the rim of the mug is moving like a mouth - “Ah, yes. Greetings distant colleague by correspondence
It is I, Tristan Harpell. How do you do? No, don’t answer that. I don’t care. Do you like gold? Of course you do. Your kind always like gold. Well it just so happens that I have a sturdy payment for an experienced out-of-town mage such as yourself. I have recently inherited the old northeast wing of Ivy Manor after my greatuncle
Siegfried, um… died... somehow. Anyways, it’s full of nasty little annoyances that I simply do not have the time or energy to deal with. If you can clear out the nuisances that Uncle Siegfried left behind... hmmm, let’s
say 750 gold pieces for you? Oh, and pet bird.

My kind! That’s dwarves not gnomes. The chance to rummage through an accomplished old mage’s effects, I would have helped young Tristan for free. Mind you I do have expenses, living on the road in at an acceptable standard is expensive and then there are the materials for my experiments and research. And a pet bird how delightful. I wonder what kind of bird it is?
Dear boy, I would be pleased to help you in this small matter.”
Of course. Now go to the bar and order an Ivy Port
I do as requested. “Best of luck gnome. There are a few travellers here so there is a gig here for you if you get back” say the barkeep as he hands over the cup of fortified wine.
Back at my table I dismiss my miniature leviathan and it evaporates. I finish my salted ale then throw back the port.

I find myself in the hallway of an ancient manse. I must have teleported! Before me are a set of ornate doors with circular handles. A portrait of an older man with aristocratic clothes lies on the floor, as if discarded. Hanging in its place on the wall is the portrait of a younger man, his face exuding snootiness and condescension. The nameplate beneath it reads “TRISTAN HARPELL” - the nameplate on the portrait on the floor reads “SIEGFRIED HARPELL.” Tristan’s portrait begins to speak, “Ah, welcome again to the Ivy Mansion, ancient home of the Harpell dynasty! Ignore my uncle down there -one of the servants was supposed to hang him in the ballroom. If my enchantments worked correctly, one of you should now have a pair of keys in your pocket. The brass one opens the double doors to the northeast wing in front of you. The silver one is for the vault to the underground levels. I hear there’s some nasty stuff down there, so please lock it if you get the chance. Clatter – that’s the name of our caretaker who I’ve just sent inside - has a map of the whole floor. Just ask for it. I need you to go to each room and clear out anything irritating – do that and you’ll receive your proper recompense. Now if you’ll excuse me, there’s a plump little maid at the Gilded Horseshoe who I promised to share some Ivy Port with. Best of luck to both parties, eh?” With that, the portrait stops speaking, though Tristan’s visage has a more prominent smirk on it than before.
Patting my pouch, I find the keys. What a wonderful trick! I must find out how it’s done. Reaching up above my head I fumble the key into the lock. ‘Talls’ can be so inconsiderate sometimes. The double doors of dark wood swing open with a creak onto a long hall ending in a T-junction. (I1 for those playing along at home). This hallway has delicate molding along the floor and a spotless carpet. Many mirrors, at least a hundred, cover the walls. They are of every shape and size imaginable. I can see three doors, one on each side of the hall and another across the junction. I stare into the first mirror, disappointingly it seems to be just a mirror. A wizard should have more imagination! With a clank a figure in a suit of full plate armour rounds the corner of the T-junction. It woodenly walks forward with a stiff unhurried gait.
(Do I figure this out fast? To avoid meta knowledge gleaned from the text I’ll use an INT Investigation check. I use the tables in Elminster’s Guide to Solo Adventuring (EGSA) except I split question 2 to replace question 3. I know that’s pretty cryptic but hopefully if you have the book it makes sense and, if mathematically inclined, you can see why, anyway More (despite expecting magical dangers the name is a give away) No Yes (I’m a Wizard) =DC10)

realise who the armoured figure is [1d20+4] = 2+4 = 6

The menacing figure is a good way off (80 feet) and advancing slowly I have time for a little mis-direction. “Bugger, I’m nicked!” I shout as I draw my wand to call up a cloud of purple smoke around me, then duck around the corner behind the door. (Round 1 minor image cantrip and move. I’m not rolling for the creature’s save there is no reason it would suspect coloured smoke from a flamboyantly dressed obvious wizard) I hear the clanking figure walking slowly closer. (I better roll initiate, it matter’s this round

Initiative [1d20+2] = 13+2 = 15

And for the figure
[1d20+0] = 7+0 = 7

With a whispered word and a flick of my wand I turn invisible then slip back around the door into the mirrored hall. Hugging the wall, I sneak passed the armoured figure.

Invisibility spell burning a 3rd level slot.

tip-toe [1d20+2] = 18+2 = 20

Where did the little wizard go? [1d20-4] = 17-4 = 13

The figure clanks past goes through the door looks left and right pulls the double doors closed and clanks passed again.

Now I’ve gotten a closer look do I notice anything odd? Perception check. EGSA less than, no, yes (I’m a Wizard!) DC20
Do I notice anything about the figure? [1d20-1] = 13-1 = 12
Nup. Too concerned with my own cleverness as usual!

The armoured figure walks back to the T-junction and turns the corner.

odd is left [1d4] = 3

And turns left…
Last edited by Coronoides on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wyrms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/3x30bz9qi4i0d ... 0.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/c0zjp7d2mtfwe ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides »

Page 2 of The Astounding Arzook's Sheet

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides »

The warrior now out of sight, I craft a image of an aged but spry human wizard namely a rude hack known as Dendybar I’ve had the mis pleasure of conversing with once at a conference. There are two doors in my corridor. The one on the left is a grander looking double door so I choose that one eager to get out of the corridor in case the guard returns.
(Every time I exit onto the corridor I’ll roll d6, 1-3 indicating the armoured warrior is in sight, seems simpler than trying to track his movement)
(I2):
This room has two chairs and one sofa, centered around a bearskin rug. Four potted plants rest in each corner. A painting of the moon sits above the fireplace next to a crosshatch tapestry that reads “HOME SWEET
HOME.” There doesn’t seem to be anything interesting here. I wonder where the library and laboratory are? Closing the door without entering, I cross the hall with my illusory companion.
(Check for the armoured guard Guard? [1d6] = 6 No.)
Still Invisible, I open the next door. There are enough books in here to keep anyone busy for a lifetime - although one shelf is conspicuously empty. A small reading desk sits in the middle of the room. Yes! The library of an accomplished Harpell. This is exciting I hurry in closing the door behind us. There are bookshelves flanking the door I immediately start browsing the lower shelves of the one to the left. I. Hmmm, “A Compendium of Mechanics” by Katewan Fastsprocket. I’ll just put that in my pack and ask to borrow it when I see Tristan. Looks like books are organised by topic. Now where are the spellbooks? I search the shelves methodically. A minute into the search the illusion of Dendybar winks out. Must remember to recast the cantrip when I open the door. Hmm, there is an empty shelf…

The adventure say’s this is a DC15 investigation check.
What books are missing? [1d20+4] = 3+4 = 7

Whatever was shelved between “Wealth of the Realms” by Arod Goldsmith and “Signs, Sigils and Semantica” by Esvena Greatstaff is missing. At the end of my search of the shelves no spell books. Perhaps that is what’s missing. Missing spellbooks in a mansion full of wizards. I suspect a theft! There is reading table in the middle of the room. Standing on a chair I can see the tables surface. A few more books are scattered about on the table. Stuff like “Planes within Planes” open to a page about comets, yawn. All impractical natural philosophy nothing related to the Weave, not even a good tale worthy of turning into a show. Oh here’s something, A journal of notes looks like alchemy of glass. Under that finally a spell book. Flicking through.
1st level: illusory script
2nd level: knock, mirror image, shatter
3rd level: sending
4th level: dimension door
Some of these I know but there are some others I’d like to learn. The Journal and the Spellbook disappear into my pack so I can ask Tristan about loaning them. I pore over the new spells for a few minutes then drag my attention away. There is some kind of ‘nuisance’ here I need to find and deal with. Recasting my illusion of the Wizard Dendybar and checking that I’m still Invisible I head for the door.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides »

Oops, the first bit of the second post wasn't cut and pasted from my document. Fixed now. Sorry.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides »

Where is the armoured figure? [1d6] = 3

As soon as the door is opened I hear the clanking of the armoured figure. I position fake Dendybar at the door and back myself into the middle of the room under the reading table. Invisible or not you can’t be too careful. The armoured figure strides over to Dendybar but does not draw a weapon. I have Dendybar say “Yes?” in scornful tones. The armoured figure just stands there. “What do you want?” demands the fake Dendybar. Again, the visor of the armoured figure watches and stands stock still.

I think that is enough evidence that I might realise what is going on. Same DC20. No chancve of success but for practice… Who is the strong silent type? [1d20-1] = 11-1 = 10
I should also note as an illusionist my minor illusion has sound and is malleable. I’m counting the rounds until my fake Dendybar disappears.

Whoever this is they are in the home of a wizard clan. Maybe they are so accustomed to obeying wizards they will do as a visiting wizard asks. OR maybe this is one of the nuisances Tristan mentioned. A plan form in my head. “Take me to the nuisance Tristan wants me to dispose of” orders fake Dendybar.

It turns out the armoured figure is quite dim. Deciding what the nuisance is might be too abstract for it. A regular person would usually figure this out but not always. Lets say DC10 INT Insight.
[1d20-5] = 20-5 = 15 Made it!

The armoured figure turns sharply on its heal and clanks off down the corridor. Fake Dendybar follows and I creep along after him.

Two things here. First, I need to move silently. Second realising it’s a servant do I figure out who it is?
With cat-like tread [1d20+2] = 11+2 = 13 Easily beats the armoured figure’s passive perception.
Ok Investigation check: more than 50/50, no, yes = DC10
Who is this warrior? [1d20+4] = 1+4 = 5 err, that’s a no.

Another 6 seconds and the fake Dendybar winks out of existence. I stop being stealthy and hope stomps of my little feet substitute for the missing Dendybar enough that the figure does not look back. I dare not mumble out another spell for fear of alerting the warrior.

Footstep deception wisdom for senses [1d20+3] = 20+3 = 23

I breathe a sigh of relief and smile at my own cleverness as the armoured servant leads on.

I don’t want to read ahead to find the ‘nuisance’ but I realise there is some things undiscovered in a room I’ve already read/seen that belong in that category.

The warrior disappointingly just crosses the hall opens the door to the comfortable sitting room and points at the sofa. When he turns his helmeted head and sees no Dendybar I suspect the jig is up. I hope I stopped dead fast enough.

sudden stop hex stealth [1d20+2] = 18+2 = 20 The armoured figure cannot beat that.

The head looks around and then stomps passed me and out of the room closing the door behind him. I peer at the sofa. It’s a pretty ugly brown sofa with no artistry but I don’t think it qualifies as a nuisance. I wonder what the mute meant? Perhaps there is some kind of vermin nested under the cushions. Curious, I saunter over to investigate. Suddenly, the room explodes with activity. A pseudopod explodes out of the couch towards the sound of my incautious footsteps and the two potted start to rush over as well.

I figure the armoured figure’s pointing made me sufficiently alert to avoid a surprise round.
Initiative

Arzook Initiative [1d20+2] = 19+2 = 21
Mimic Mimic initiative [1d20+1] = 20+1 = 21
A tie. AS per PHB each rolls a d20.
Arzook [1d20] = 5
Mimic [1d20] = 11
So Mimic than Arzook
Twig blights [1d20+1] = 14+1 = 15
Final order Mimic, Arzook, Twig Blights ABCD

ROUND ONE
The mimic attacks with disadvantage Mimic pummel [2d20c1] = 15, doing [1d8+3] = 6+3 = 9 oops with +5 to hit is a 20. That’s a hit. I have 29 hp left.

The pseudopod strikes home bruising my ribs.
Still invisible I watch for attacks as I stagger back, open the door, and round into the corridor all the while shrilly screaming “Help! Help!”. Not my proudest moment but I hope that armoured servant of the wizards arrives to save me.
The first of the pot plants uprooted from it’s pot emerges into the hall and blindly claws at me with a branch.
Twig blight A [2d20c1+3] = 13+3 = 16 for [1d4+1] = 4+1 = 5. I’m on 24.
“My favourite robe! Damnmit!.” One of its fellow dread plants is right behind it and claws in towards the sound of my voice.
twig blight B [2d20c1+3] = 13+3 = 16 for [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3 I’m down to 21.

Scoring a nasty gash.
Another comes through the door and I can see another approaching just beyond the threshold.

ROUND TWO
The armoured figure would not have been far away. So will arrive this round. Armoured figure initiative [1d20] = 13
Final order Mimic, Arzook, Twig Blights ABCD

An melted mass of brown leather oozes through the door couch cushions raised revealing a toothy maw but it can’t get passed the violent pot plants to reach me. As for the plants they move to flank me on three sides clawing at me.

Flank advantage negates the disadvantage from my invisibility.
Twig A [1d20+3] = 8+3 = 11 for [1d4+1] = 1+1 = 2 Miss!
Twig B [1d20+3] = 17+3 = 20 for [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3 I’m on 18.
Twig C [1d20+3] = 10+3 = 13 for [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3 I’m on 15.
Twig D [1d20+3] = 9+3 = 12 for [1d4+1] = 1+1 = 2 I’m on 13

After the flurry of clawed branches, I’m badly cut and a little afraid. Time to rally. I pronounce the arcane words of the to summon the couch’s most feared nightmare with clear received pronunciation. The shock of my victim’s fear tugs the weave of magic and I become visible.

Wis save DC16 every round until round 7. the couch saves [1d20+1] = 11+1 = 12 to avoid [4d10] = 12 psychic damage now on 46

As the upholsted ooze recoils, a detached part of my mind wonders what a leather couch’s greatest fear is. A spilling bottle of red wine perhaps? Then the pot plants attack.

Twig A [1d20+3] = 18+3 = 21 for [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3 I’m on 10. That was supposed to be with advantage but no harm done (except to me).
Reaction Fade Away feat to become invisible.

I instinctively react with an old gnomish magic trick fading away to invisibility.
Twig B [1d20+3] = 7+3 = 10 for [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3 Miss.
Twig C [1d20+3] = 9+3 = 12 for [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3 I’m on 7
Twig C [1d20+3] = 9+3 = 12 for [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3 Miss.

The armoured mute rounds the corner a gauntleted fist slamming into a pot plant…
Guantleted haymaker [1d20+4] = 20+4 = 24 for [1d6+2] = 3+2 = 5 and that’s a critical so [1d6] = 1 is 6 damage
Smashing it to splinters.

OK it's dinner time here in RL so I'll leave with a cliff-hanger. ;)

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides »

The third and last page of the character sheet as it was at character generation. BOLS is Book of Lost Spells by Necormancer games. One of the first 3rd party add ons for 5e.Some big names worth on BOLS. The spells of BOLS add more variety to schools of magic that have fewer spells in the PHB. There's also a fair number of spells so specialised they would rarely get used beyond a strongly themed campaign. For example "Raise Shipwreck" might be useful in a nautical campaign but would see little use otherwise.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides »

ROUND THREE
Mimic, Arzook, Twig Blights BCD, Armoured servant.

Unable to approach whatever terrifying horror scares a couch the cushioned monster quivers in fear
Mimic's Wis save DC16 [1d20+1] = 17+1 = 18 No psychic damage this round but if I’m reading the spell right the mimic is still Frightened.

Still invisible, I dodge and weave passed the killer pot plants shouting “crush them doughty servant” as I pass the armoured figure and round the corner. Just in time that gnomish trick wears off and I become visible. I’m in another long hall deocorated with mirrors. There are 7 doors in this corridor and one is right beside me.

Disengage action and move. The Fade Away Feat (XGE) provides invisibility until the end of my next move.

I can hear the armoured guard fighting the pot plants

The plants move to surround the armoured figure. B and C have flanking.
Twig B [1d20+3] = 14+3 = 17 for [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3 Twig B [1d20+3] = 11+3 = 14 for [1d4+1] = 1+1 = 2 Miss
Twig C [1d20+3] = 8+3 = 11 for [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3 Twig C [1d20+3] = 19+3 = 22 for [1d4+1] = 3+1 = 4 Hit. The armoured figure has 29 hp left
armoured figure punch [1d20+4] = 20+4 = 24 for [1d6+2] = 3+2 = 5
Twig D [1d20+3] = 2+3 = 5 for [1d4+1] = 4+1 = 5. Plant B is smashed to pieces.

Return to “The Crystal Globe”