Cosm description for new GM / Player

"The storm has a name..." Discuss both TORG and TORG Eternity here.
pierreangem
Goblin

Cosm description for new GM / Player

Post by pierreangem »

I’m still reading the sourcebooks.
I just wanted to share what I noticed:
On all last sourcebooks the content of table of contents are the same but it is missing a more deep and clear description of each of the original cosms.
For example, If you look at the original torg Aysle sourcebook, there is the presentation of the Aysle planet with all drawings, section, explanations etc etc.
I remember that when I was recruiting people to play ... it was so easy to attract all the DD fellows, because the image of Aysle world is very simulating... also on original Terra, Tharkold or original Orrorsh the map of original cosm and description was very useful.
Now, with new players and especially new GM, I think it is hard to feed and supply an uniform image of every cosm if there is no Clear description Into current sourcebooks.
As an example of some ambiguity found in cyberpapacy, If original torg was describing Magna veritas flat with medieval age and no cyber tech for people, while on new sourcebook it is not clear about planet and how cyber stuff Is available...
Could we mind for later pledge to include a reward level that could offer a hard/card double pages with visual description, map, plan of a given cosm inside. On cover, we found a short text description and the rear could be used on table game to see all axioms, Cosm’s laws, specific tables etc ...
thank you
Angus

Stolz
Ogre

Re: Cosm description for new GM / Player

Post by Stolz »

I did notice that too. And I agree that was a great way to make each cosm stand out from all others and to amplifiy the multi-genre identity of Torg.

I don't know if there are future projects to produce some "home cosms" stuff, but I suspect the designers' choice was mostly motivated by space economy. Also, we had a lot of details about Gaea, Aysle planet, etc. in oTorg, but how often did we really go there during our adventures? At some point, I can understand it was sacrificed to give priority to more "useful" (in common campaigns) material.

Nonetheless, I think it would be nice to have something about those worlds (could even be one book with all of them inside). For now, many of us have oTorg materials and can elaborate a bit when it comes to explain (or try to) to new players what invading cosms are like. But as more new players will start playing TE without even knowing there was an old version in the 90's, that blank spot will become more of a problem.

pierreangem
Goblin

Post by pierreangem »

Yes, it is why I was thinking to a 2 pages brochures with original cosm informations that you show to player like a Holiday plan brochure ... we could mind to find inside the brochure a small holder for the cosm cards... this would made richer game setting...
Last edited by pierreangem on Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angus

pierreangem
Goblin

Post by pierreangem »

It’s true that you would never have to visit or set adventure into cosm itself, but reading about map and history help to make better GM “Interpreters” about cosms.
I’m curious to know what a new GM had understood About “world below” into last Aysle sourcebook, if you never see gaea map... you cannot understand that easy.
Last edited by pierreangem on Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Angus

pkitty
Bugbear

Post by pkitty »

Deanna has confirmed that at some point (EDIT: in Year 3 or later), they plan to do some sort of "home cosms" book or PDF. That wasn't something that needed to be present for Year 1, because it's highly unlikely that the PCs will be visiting those cosms (at least, not until much later in the game), and the priority has to be getting us gamers all of the info we need for adventures set here on invaded Core Earth. Remember, Ulisses' resources (writers, editors, funds, etc.) are limited, so any wordcount devoted to X means less wordcount for Y and Z -- so they have to prioritize.
Last edited by pkitty on Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

TorgHacker
Troll

Post by TorgHacker »

We will eventually be doing some sort of Invading Cosm book or something along that line, but as pkitty mentions, the intent very much was to focus on what players do on Earth.

That won't be until Year Three though, at a minimum.
Torg Eternity Designer
Torg Eternity Community Manager
Ulisses Spiele

cloudshaper2k
Goblin

Post by cloudshaper2k »

And by Year Three, I don't think we'll need to worry about an Invading Cosm description of Gaea . . . we can just put a picture of a raisin in it's place.

pierreangem
Goblin

Post by pierreangem »

cloudshaper2k wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:38 am
And by Year Three, I don't think we'll need to worry about an Invading Cosm description of Gaea . . . we can just put a picture of a raisin in it's place.
I’ve got your point, but normal people start GM or player around day one ... such Gaea description is useful for first reading and so nice when you wish to bring interest from new people ...
Angus

Stolz
Ogre

Post by Stolz »

pierreangem wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:03 am
cloudshaper2k wrote:
I’ve got your point, but normal people start GM or player around day one ... such Gaea description is useful for first reading and so nice when you wish to bring interest from new people ...
I agree, but I also understand the choice that was made. I'd like to have some material in each sourcebook (your idea of 1-2 pages to give the big picture would've been great), but it might have made any future and more elaborate product to feel a bit redundant.

So, until then, I think we'll have to rely a lot on oTorg stuff. Keeping in mind that many details changed in the process...

pierreangem
Goblin

Post by pierreangem »

Exactly...this would mean that the old sourcebooks will always be useful ;)
Anyway, having the pdf about old stuff available it would be easy to compile a simple book about each original cosm .. just to gather what could be useful to read for anybody who want to know a bit more... cool lecture ...
Angus

pkitty
Bugbear

Post by pkitty »

pierreangem wrote:
I understand your point, Pierre, and I agree it would have been nice to have details on "home cosms" right from the beginning, in the core book. But let me ask you two questions. First, how many pages do you think should have been devoted to home cosm descriptions ? Second, what pages would you have cut from the core book to make room for that?
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

Greymarch2000
Bugbear

Post by Greymarch2000 »

I've been harping on about having more info from the home cosms since day one, especially as you can actually play people from the invading realities and not just transformed Core Earthers. So your character comes from Goguraku, what did they do, where did they live? *gestures vaguely*

And I have the advantage of owning the old Torg sourcebooks that gave this information (though I feel some such as Marketplace would be completely different). New players and GMs will have a very superficial background for what happened in those cosms.

Now I realize that space is a premium and all that, and its been like 3 years so obviously people can play just fine without all that extra info. I'm just saying I hope we get more extras like Secrets of the Cyberchurch that are filled with useful thematic background information and less like Secrets of the Resistance which seemed to be a random mishmash of stuff.
Jay Rutley
Torg Infiniverse Exchange Author
The Storm Knights' Guide to Monster Hunters, The Storm Knights' Guide to Dragon Warriors, The Storm Knights' Guide to Realm Runners
Operation: Grim Harvest - A one Act adventure set in Core Earth featuring Stormbreak
Cosm Card Boosters: Aysle, Core Earth, Cyberpapacy, Living Land, Nile Empire, Pan Pacifica, Tharkold & Akasha

pierreangem
Goblin

Post by pierreangem »

pkitty wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:18 pm
pierreangem wrote:
I understand your point, Pierre, and I agree it would have been nice to have details on "home cosms" right from the beginning, in the core book. But let me ask you two questions. First, how many pages do you think should have been devoted to home cosm descriptions ? Second, what pages would you have cut from the core book to make room for that?
Honestly, I didn’t re-read the old sourcebook since I’m bathing into new books.
But after 20 years I Still have a clear image of Gaea for example, I’m pretty sure I would still be able to talk hours about Gaea or arrange a story taking place on Gaea on the fly. I see the place.
It is why I’m pretty sure that a double page about map, visual and a page about the main description would be enough to anybody to impress an image in the head that would be the same for all.
If invasion Result and Evolution could be different for any GM Because it is depending on the results on Each table ... Instead, the source cosms have to be the same for all. It would not need that much than one page description, but made well without deep in matter... And again, a few map, a few town names... that help much to identify where a character comes from and what he would have already see and visit before to came across bridge ...
This is important for most of Aysle fellows , orrosh subjects Terra people, tharkold tralls...and more important for cyberpapacy and kanawa people because those cosm are different from original source and would avoid confusion.
Thank you for sharing.
Angus

princeearwig
Hobgoblin

Post by princeearwig »

However, the "Secrets of.." documents from each crowdfunder that included them have been very useful for filling in some gaps.
So, considering Orrrorsh is next and that its fate is pretty grisly.. Maybe a stretch goal in its crowdfunder would fit the bill?

pierreangem
Goblin

Post by pierreangem »

About current sourcebook, well this is a trick question.
If looking to cyberpapacy book, I would have compress from “war zone” until “Delphi council and resistance” to earn 1/2 pages and located description as an introduction to Malraux story.
And for last page needed, what about the eternity shards pages at the end of book? Those could be stretch in half page: a table with compared stats and Small images of the eternity shards Under the table would be far enough.
When I’m reading the books those last pages looks added in rush and fury to make the page count ok. I’m always going fast on those pages and shut the book right away. But it’s very very personal taste.
Angus

TorgHacker
Troll

Post by TorgHacker »

cloudshaper2k wrote:
Gaea: "I don't feel very good, Mr. Stark."
Torg Eternity Designer
Ulisses Spiele

TorgHacker
Troll

Post by TorgHacker »

Greymarch2000 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:57 pm
I've been harping on about having more info from the home cosms since day one, especially as you can actually play people from the invading realities and not just transformed Core Earthers. So your character comes from Goguraku, what did they do, where did they live? *gestures vaguely*

And I have the advantage of owning the old Torg sourcebooks that gave this information (though I feel some such as Marketplace would be completely different). New players and GMs will have a very superficial background for what happened in those cosms.

Now I realize that space is a premium and all that, and its been like 3 years so obviously people can play just fine without all that extra info. I'm just saying I hope we get more extras like Secrets of the Cyberchurch that are filled with useful thematic background information and less like Secrets of the Resistance which seemed to be a random mishmash of stuff.
Something folks need to realize is that in most circumstances, the Secrets docs are stuff that didn't fit in the Sourcebook. It's not just the amount of space we have, but the amount of time we have to do 'extra' stuff. At this point, we just don't have a lot of it.
Torg Eternity Designer
Ulisses Spiele

TorgHacker
Troll

Post by TorgHacker »

pierreangem wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:05 pm
About current sourcebook, well this is a trick question.
If looking to cyberpapacy book, I would have compress from “war zone” until “Delphi council and resistance” to earn 1/2 pages and located description as an introduction to Malraux story.
And for last page needed, what about the eternity shards pages at the end of book? Those could be stretch in half page: a table with compared stats and Small images of the eternity shards Under the table would be far enough.
When I’m reading the books those last pages looks added in rush and fury to make the page count ok. I’m always going fast on those pages and shut the book right away. But it’s very very personal taste.
We had 40 extra pages we had to cut from the Cyberpapacy Sourcebook, almost all of which ended up in either the end of Unhallowed Data, or in the Secrets PDFs.

Trust me...we didn't rush to fill the last few pages.

There is a LOT of decision making that goes into what shows up in books and what doesn't. Fortunately we have the Secrets PDFs to use as a pressure valve when we do happen to produce too much text for a product. But you'd be amazed how many decisions are made to cut something simply because of layout problems.

For instance, in the production of books, things aren't actually based on word count. They're based on spreads. And we need to have space to break the text up so it isn't just one giant wall of text (hence sidebars, quotes, art). But the important thing is that you're always worried about _two_ page spreads. One of the worst situations is having one extra page, or one two few pages.

Plus you can't have a situation where you have a single line at the top or bottom of a column...which can add as much as a 1/4 page per chapter.

And then on top of THAT each chapter MUST start on the left hand side. So you can't just compress the Delphi Council and the Resistance by 1/2 page. You can't even compress it by 1 page. You must compress it by TWO pages. The Cyberpapacy SB was a devil (pun intended) to layout, simply because we had sooooooooooo much stuff.

Additionally, books have to be printed in groups of 8 or 16 pages. No more, no less.
Torg Eternity Designer
Ulisses Spiele

Return to “TORG”