[Esfah] What can the novel Cast of Fate by Allen Varney tell us about the Dragon Dice setting?

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Esfah] What can the novel Cast of Fate by Allen Varney tell us about the Dragon Dice setting?

Post by Havard »

Has anyone here read the novel Cast of Fate by Allen Varney? It is the first of the trilogy set in the Dragon Dice setting of Esfah (see this thread). This trilogy was published back in the 1990s, but it looks like a company called Treeshaker books are bringing them back now.

More details on how to get the reprinted version of Cast of Fate here:

https://treeshaker-books-store.square.s ... /3?cs=true

Apparently they also have plans for more (new) books to be published in the future.

Has anyone read Cast of Fate? What does it reveal about the world of Esfah?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Allen Varney
Bugbear

Re: [Esfah] What can the novel Cast of Fate by Allen Varney tell us about the Dragon Dice setting?

Post by Allen Varney »

I wrote Cast of Fate. I believe TSR declined to adopt as canon any ideas I advanced about Esfah. I had little sense of the world based on the skimpy setting material TSR provided. For the sake of atmosphere I haphazardly threw in a few offhand allusions to past events -- I think I mentioned the name "Daur-Bor-Nin" as an early fortress of the gods -- but none of it arose from a coherent setting or storyline. I don't know anything about Treeshaker or its plans, but I'm guessing you can safely ignore the novel's setting lore.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Esfah] What can the novel Cast of Fate by Allen Varney tell us about the Dragon Dice setting?

Post by Havard »

Allen Varney wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:06 am
I wrote Cast of Fate. I believe TSR declined to adopt as canon any ideas I advanced about Esfah. I had little sense of the world based on the skimpy setting material TSR provided. For the sake of atmosphere I haphazardly threw in a few offhand allusions to past events -- I think I mentioned the name "Daur-Bor-Nin" as an early fortress of the gods -- but none of it arose from a coherent setting or storyline. I don't know anything about Treeshaker or its plans, but I'm guessing you can safely ignore the novel's setting lore.
Glad to see you are still here Allen! :)

I always love old history in my settings. I take it you didn't write the following novels that turned this into a trilogy? Did you talk to the authors who continued the story? I wonder how much of the lore from the first book was continued in later novels.

Would you consider returning to the setting or characters if Treeshaker asked you to write a new novel for Esfah?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Allen Varney
Bugbear

Post by Allen Varney »

The Dragon Dice novels weren't a trilogy, despite the Treeshaker billing as such. Because the game's setting was so abstract and ill-defined, the property wasn't curated with the same attention given to, say, Dragonlance. It was a much more casual, ho-hum approach.

I had a brief email exchange with the author of the second book, an exchange that left us both disinclined to pursue further discussion. As far as I know, no other writer was instructed or expected to take into account my Cast of Fate ideas. Writing of any kind is off my agenda nowadays; I'm in year eight of an unbreakable writer's block.

Return to “Other Worlds”